If you’re into creative arts, you’ll know exactly how hard it is to select the right kit to meet your needs. There are a lot of factors that people take into consideration when they’re shopping for stationery and art items. It is as much of a personal choice as it is, a technical one.
The market doesn’t make it any easier by offering so many different kinds of products suited for the task. Painters, however, have a massive headache when it comes to this. There are just so many different types of painting and equipment out there that selecting which one is best suited to their capabilities and preferences can be quite the task.
But don’t worry, we’re here to make that task easier. Starting with the best brushes for oil painting. So, read this guide and you’ll find out exactly what you need for your art.
If you have found the best brushes for oil painting selection featured below useful we invite you to cast a glance over the best painting easels, best brushes for watercolor, best brushes for acrylic paint, and the best sketchbooks for watercolor featured here on Architecture Lab.
Best Brushes for Oil Painting
Table of Contents
- Best Brushes for Oil Painting
- 1. Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes Set of 15 – Best for Beginners and Hobbyists
- 2. D’Artisan Shoppe Paint Brushes for Oil Gouache Paint – Best for Professional Artists
- 3. Artify 15 pieces Professional Paint Brush Set – Best for Quality and Durability
- 4. Nicpro Detail Paint Brush Set
- 5. Amagic Set of Anti-Shedding Fan Brushes
- 6. Santa Fe Art Supplies Paint Brush Set
- Best Brushes For Oil Painting Comparison Table
- Buying Guide For The Best Brushes For Oil Painting
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between natural and synthetic brushes for oil painting?
- What size brush should I use for oil painting?
- How should I clean my oil painting brushes?
- Can I use the same brushes for oil and acrylic painting?
- How do I store my oil painting brushes?
- How often should I replace my oil painting brushes?
Whether you are a beginner or a professional, these brushes will help you create stunning works of art. So, without further ado, here’s the list of the 6 best brushes for oil painting.
1. Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes Set of 15 – Best for Beginners and Hobbyists
- Extremely Versatile: 15 different sizes from 3/0...
- Superior Quality: This art paint brush set is a...
Another excellent set of paintbrushes for oil painting is Mont Marte’s set of 15. These brushes will cost more or less the same as Virtuoso’s set and also come with 15 brushes. All representing different sizes and types of brushes. Like with Virtuoso’s set, it’s hard to go wrong with this set of brushes because they meet all the expectations one would have of them as a painter.
- 15 different sizes and types of brushes makes for excellent variety
- Pouch is useful and long lasting, quite easy to carry around too
- Priced competitively, albeit slightly more expensive than other brands
- Easy to wash and the bristles remain soft for a long time if maintained properly
- A few signs of the bristles falling off early, can be a problem to some
- Not professional grade brushes so they’re better for beginners and hobbyists
2. D’Artisan Shoppe Paint Brushes for Oil Gouache Paint – Best for Professional Artists
- 🎨 NO MORE FRUSTRATION OVER USING BAD BRUSHES -...
- 🎨 WORKS FOR ALL PAINT TYPES - This brush set...
This set of brushes comes from a brand that is known to be every artist’s favorite. The quality of these brushes and the brand value in itself is phenomenal and there is little to complain about the way they perform.
They’re packaged to perfection and perform to perfection. They’re built to last and cater to professional artists who are serious about their work. Of course, all that excellence will come at a hefty price.
- Absolutely no signs of shedding or bristle damage even after extensive use
- Excellent packaging with durable and practical travel case
- Made of natural hog hair which makes these the best choice for oil painting
- Very easy to clean after a painting session
- They’re professional grade thus a tad more expensive
3. Artify 15 pieces Professional Paint Brush Set – Best for Quality and Durability
- NATUARL WOODEN HANDLES: Our fine artist brushes...
- VERSATILE ASSORTMENT: The 15 long handle brushes...
Now we’ll be honest here. For the price you’re paying for this set, you will find a few drawbacks and have a thing or two to complain about. They’re excellent for oil painting. And like the D’Artisan set, they do not compromise on the quality of brushes.
- Excellent quality of brushes with pure hog bristles tailormade for oil painting
- The wooden handles feel expensive and of premium build, excellent longevity and comfort
- No noticeable shedding or hardening of bristles
- Professional grade brushes that will not let you down
- Plastic carrier box feels cheap at this price. Brush sets that cost half the price offer better pouches
- They’re a bit too expensive for the kind of quality they offer
4. Nicpro Detail Paint Brush Set
- Set of 15 Miniature Paint Brushes: Liners 4/0,...
- Perfect for All Sorts of Detailing. Good for nail...
There’s a lot to talk about in this set of paintbrushes. To begin with they’re quite well-priced for professional paintbrushes. And they come with a good set of accessories to go along with them as well. What makes them stand out though, is their design. The bristles are very minute and are capable of bringing out extremely fine details in your paintings.
The handles are uniquely shaped and are supremely comfortable to use. You’ll love this set if attention to detail is one of the most important aspects of your art.
- Well priced for a professional paintbrush set
- Comes with a lot of accessories including a carrying pouch and a cylindrical container for ease of access
- Minute and fine bristles make for the excellent level of detail in the output
- The uniquely shaped handle feels amazing to use and hold
- Nothing much to note here, an excellent set of paintbrushes for all painters
5. Amagic Set of Anti-Shedding Fan Brushes
- MEETS ALL PURPOSES PAINTING NEEDS: Set of 6...
- SUPER VERSATILITY, USE THEM WITH ALMOST ANY KIND...
One type of paintbrush that is extensively used in oil painting is Fan Brush. And that is what makes this set an amazing choice if you’re going to be doing a lot of oil painting. Priced at a mere $11, you’re getting plenty for what you’re paying. This kit contains a number of fan brushes, each of a different size making it perfect for those who use them extensively.
- Affordable and very good quality for the price
- Fan brushes are used a lot in oil painting and this set has some of the best ones out there
- Hog bristle brushes don’t shed which is rare at this price range
- Certainly not the first choice if you’re considering long term, washing these brushes can be a pain and is quite likely to damage them
6. Santa Fe Art Supplies Paint Brush Set
- FULL SET OF 15 + 1 PAINTBRUSHES: Everything you...
- HANDY ORGANIZER-CASE: Our paint brush set comes in...
The final one on our list is Santa Fe’s kit of paintbrushes. These claim to be professional-grade paint brushes and are definitely priced at that level. What you get though is an excellent range of large-tipped brushes. While this set consists of plenty of different sizes and types of brushes, it’s the large-tipped ones that really perform well and are also especially good for oil painting.
Bear in mind that the quality of these brushes is not professional grade though.
- Excellent range of large-tipped brushes
- Plenty of accessories including a pouch and a stand
- Plenty of variety on offer, more so than a lot of other 15-brush sets in the same price
- The handles are really good and feel premium
- For the price, the quality of the brushes is quite inadequate, there’s noticeable shedding and washing the brushes is not as easy as one would like
Best Brushes For Oil Painting Comparison Table
|Product||Brush Type||Brush Material||Number of Brushes||Size Range||Suitable for|
|Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes Set of 15||Various||Synthetic, hog, pony, taklon, sable||15||#1-#12||Acrylic, oil, watercolor, gouache, face/body painting|
|D’Artisan Shoppe Paint Brushes for Oil Gouache Paint||Various||Synthetic, hog, pony, sable||15||#000-#12||Oil, gouache, acrylic, watercolor|
|Artify 15 pieces Professional Paint Brush Set||Various||Synthetic, nylon||15||#3/0-#12||Acrylic, oil, watercolor, gouache, face/body painting|
|Nicpro Detail Paint Brush Set||Various||Synthetic||15||#000-#1||Acrylic, oil, watercolor, gouache, miniature painting, models, nails|
|Amagic Set of Anti-Shedding Fan Brushes||Fan||Nylon||6||#2-#12||Acrylic, oil, watercolor, gouache, face/body painting|
|Santa Fe Art Supplies Paint Brush Set||Various||Synthetic||15||#0-#12||Acrylic, oil, watercolor, gouache, face/body painting|
Buying Guide For The Best Brushes For Oil Painting
When it comes to creating masterful oil paintings, selecting the appropriate brushes is critical. This guide aims to provide helpful and reliable information to ensure you make the right choice.
1. Brush Type
There are several types of brushes used in oil painting:
- Natural Bristle Brushes: Often made from hog or boar hair, these brushes have strong and durable bristles that hold the paint well. They retain their stiffness even when soaked in oil mediums and can achieve a wide range of strokes.
- Synthetic Bristle Brushes: These brushes are typically made from nylon or polyester, and are less expensive than natural bristle brushes. They can work well for fine details, but may not hold up as well with heavy paint applications.
- Blended Brushes: A mix of natural and synthetic bristles, these brushes balance the qualities of both types, maintaining strength and durability while maintaining affordability.
2. Brush Shape
Various brush shapes serve different purposes:
- Round: A versatile brush with a pointed tip, ideal for fine lines, delicate detail work, and controlled washes.
- Flat: Suitable for creating sharp edges, and broad strokes, and also for covering larger areas.
- Bright: Similar to flat brushes, but with shorter bristles, providing more control when working with thick paint.
- Filbert: This oval-shaped brush is perfect for blending and creating soft, rounded edges.
- Fan: A thin, fan-shaped brush, ideal for delicate blending, softening edges, or creating textures like grass and foliage.
3. Brush Size
Brush sizes vary significantly, and the choice depends on the scale of your artwork and the level of detail you want to achieve. Small-sized brushes (#0 – #2) are perfect for fine details, while larger brushes (#10 – #12 and above) are suitable for broader strokes and background work.
4. Handle Length
There are two main handle length types:
- Short Handles: Allow for greater control during a close-up, detailed work.
- Long Handles: Designed to provide distance from the canvas for greater perspective when painting large-scale artworks or using the “alla prima” technique, where artists work with wet paint over wet paint.
Brush prices can vary widely. While investing in high-quality brushes may result in better performance, it’s essential to strike a balance between quality and affordability. Student-grade brushes can offer an affordable starting point, while top-end, professional-grade brushes are great for experienced artists.
6. Your Painting Style
Your personal painting style plays an essential role in brush selection. For example, if you prefer using bold, textured strokes, natural bristle brushes might be your best choice. Conversely, if you focus on delicate detailing, synthetic brushes with fine tips may be more suitable.
Remember that proper brush care is crucial for maintaining the performance and lifespan of your brushes. Clean your brushes thoroughly after each use with a brush cleaner or mild soap, and make sure to reshape the bristles before leaving them to dry. Regularly following these steps will ensure your brushes stand up to the test of time, ultimately saving you money and effort in the long run.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between natural and synthetic brushes for oil painting?
Natural brushes are made from animal hair, usually hog or sable, and are known for their durability and ability to hold a lot of paint. Synthetic brushes are made from synthetic fibers, such as nylon or polyester, and are typically less expensive than natural brushes. They also tend to be more durable and easier to clean, but may not hold as much paint as natural brushes.
What size brush should I use for oil painting?
The size of brush you should use for oil painting depends on the size of the canvas you are working on and the level of detail you want to achieve. Generally, larger brushes are used for larger areas of the canvas, while smaller brushes are used for details.
How should I clean my oil painting brushes?
After painting, wipe excess paint off the brush with a rag or paper towel. Then, use a solvent, such as mineral spirits, to clean the brush thoroughly. Finally, rinse the brush with soap and water and reshape the bristles before letting it dry.
Can I use the same brushes for oil and acrylic painting?
While it is possible to use the same brushes for oil and acrylic painting, it is not recommended. Oil paint is thicker and requires sturdier brushes that can hold more paint, while acrylic paint is thinner and can be applied with softer brushes.
How do I store my oil painting brushes?
Store your oil painting brushes in a cool, dry place with the bristles facing up. Avoid storing brushes with the bristles facing down, as this can cause them to become misshapen. You can also store your brushes in a brush roll or case to protect them from damage.
How often should I replace my oil painting brushes?
The lifespan of your oil painting brushes will depend on how often you use them and how well you care for them. With proper care, natural bristle brushes can last for years, while synthetic brushes may need to be replaced more frequently. Signs that it’s time to replace your brushes include frayed bristles, loss of shape, and difficulty holding paint.
Thank you for joining me on this journey to find the best brushes for oil painting! I hope this article has provided you with valuable information and guidance to make the right choice for your artistic needs. With a plethora of brush options available on the market and as someone who has tested these products, I can assure you that finding the best brush for you can make a world of difference in your oil paintings.
Out of these 6 best brushes for oil painting, here are the top three expert recommendations:
- Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes Set of 15 is an ideal option for those who need a diverse range of brush sizes and types without breaking the bank. Its competitive pricing and ease of maintenance make it suitable for beginners and hobbyists.
- D’Artisan Shoppe Paint Brushes for Oil Gouache is a good option for professional artists looking for natural hog hair brushes that can deliver top-quality and lasting performance with no shedding issues. The higher price is justified by the tremendous value it provides.
- Artify 15 Pieces Professional Paint Brush Set is the right choice for artists who want professional-grade brushes with excellent quality and durability. Although the set may come across as slightly expensive, the impressive quality and long-lasting bristles guarantee satisfaction.
Make sure to invest in a quality brush set that suits your artistic style as well as your budget. Remember, no matter which option you choose, always take the time to maintain and care for your brushes, as proper upkeep will ensure that they last longer and continue to perform at their peak. Happy painting, and may your creative journey be abundant and fulfilling!
8 Best Fabric Paint for Creatives
11 thoughts on “6 of the Best Brushes for Oil Painting [Architect’s Collection]”
It’s nice that this list breaks down all the attributes of every oil set. I would probably go with the Nicpro Detail Paint Brush Set because of its ease of use and various accessories. Thanks for sharing!
an artist like me would really appreciate this article. Thank you for featuring this stuff hope that you would feature more like this .
Artify brushes are my go-to for oil painting. But reading this article makes me want to try other brands!
Being a painter requires a lot of talent and luck. I do not know a lot but a good drawing hand is usually a pre cursor to that or at least can lead to painting.
I’m thinking on enrolling in an oil painting class. I love painting when I was a kid but haven’t really done anything now as an adult. I’ll probably buy those beginner’s brushes first.
Wow, it’s a nice art-icle. Art requires you having the best tools. Thanks for sharing.
I hope those that love creative arts and painting would see this post to chose from these arrays of brushes for their oil painting. It pertinent that a good tool is always used for a perfect job which these oil brushes are set to achieved
I like the pouch that lets the brushes stand or be inclined at an angle. It organizes them and makes it easier to pull them out or return them to their places. It helps get declutter the space.
these brushes will get the job done. the only thing remaining is the talent and skill.
These oil paint brushes look so nice.I hope architects see these to make a choice. I will recommend Santa Fe Art Supplies Paint Brush Set.A set of great looking 15 brushes that looks durable and of good quality
I absolutely love oil painting! I’m gonna save up for some of these soon!